Monday, September 26, 2011

My First Week of College


                Reflecting on my first week of college led to me to realize that my face stings. I am sure that's not what you expected me to say but the silver spoon we were once fed with has slapped us in the face. The amenities that were once so well known to us have been overturned. We no longer get to enjoy the things like home cooked meals, quiet time, or personal space. Instead, we make our own meal choices while standing in line at crowded cafeterias, we wake up to brush our teeth and shower right next to other people, and we no longer have our own rooms or a room to be totally honest, it’s more of a closet. Although not everyone enjoyed these luxuries during their lives, college is still not comparable to much else in our lives, or the things older peers told us about college.
Although it seems I may not be enjoying college, I acutally like it. College caught me off-guard. I was expecting change, but nothing like I experienced in my first week. There are many advantages to being a college student, like independence, higher education in areas that I am interested in, and new beginnings. My classes were more than intimidating during the first week, but everything has begun to feel routine and I am already finding myself thrilled to say I survived my first of college as a Cal Poly class of 2015 freshman, even though my face is slightly stinging.

1 comment:

  1. Kelsey! Wow you are an amazing writer! Totally agree with the face stinging though. I felt the exact same way
    -Aimee

    ReplyDelete